Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A Holiday Keepsake


Chanukah, also known as the Festival of Lights, is a Jewish holiday that celebrates the miracle of the oil - said to have kept the eternal light burning in the Holy Temple for eight days, when it should have only lasted for one.

My grandmother lived to be 90 years old. The menorah I now light each year belonged to her. We were never a very religious family, but we had our own traditions and ways of celebrating that I looked forward to each holiday season. I still do.

I was fortunate to have had my grandmother in my life for so long. Many people don't have that privilege, and it's not something I take for granted.

Some might say it's a miracle to live that long.  I guess it depends on what you believe.  Either way, Chanukah is about counting blessings, and I have plenty to count.

Happy Chanukah.

My grandmother, Pauline.


Electric Menorah

1954 Hanukkah Activity Fun Book from Hello There Cutie

No comments:

Post a Comment