Monday, March 14, 2011

The Luck of the Irish



I have often wondered what my Jewish grandmother was doing with a four-leaf clover. Recently, I have come to discover that this lucky charm has nothing to do with its three-leafed brother, the shamrock - Ireland's most recognizable national symbol. Don't I feel silly.    

It is the shamrock, with its three leaves, that helped St. Patrick explain the concept of the holy Trinity to the Irish back in the 5th century. According to legend, the leaves of a four-leaf clover represent hope, faith, love and luck.  

Glad I have that sorted out.  

I still plan to wear this necklace on Thursday in celebration of my Irish roots. Roots, that thanks to dedicated family and hours online, have become much deeper and clearer over the last few years.  

So, my clover has an extra leaf. I won't tell if you won't.  


Pretty close match

Pillbox Hat

Shamrock Pin

Erin Go Braugh

No comments:

Post a Comment